Senior Python Backend Engineer
About The Position
Did you know that most sensor location data from drones or small aircraft are highly inaccurate on the order of 10s to 100s of meters? Now, imagine what that means for an emergency team flying a mission to find the exact location of a trapped family or to chart the area of a burning forest fire. What could go wrong when the team gives this information to decision makers for action?
At Edgybees, we are a startup on the fast track to bring clarity and accuracy to lifesaving or exploratory missions. We provide accurate georegistration and augmented reality of aerial video in real-time, enabling defense, public safety, and critical infrastructure decision makers to successfully complete their missions. Additionally, we’ve recently started the launch of our satellite imagery product that delivers the same level of clarity and accuracy in lightning speed to any decision maker needing it.
If you would like to be part of shaping the future using cutting-edge computer vision and AI/ML technologies and be a member of a team that constantly breaks new grounds, then Edgybees is searching for you!
What we do
We are the Edgybees US R&D team, and we are a fast growing team in the US geospatial and space industries. We are building the industry leading augmented reality and real-time computer vision platform for satellite imagery and full motion video. Our team is primarily responsible for the research, development, quality control, and deployment of the Edgybees platform for our U.S. customers.
What you’ll do
As a Senior Python Backend Engineer in the US office, you will play a major role in designing, implementing, and supporting our industry leading augmented reality and real-time computer vision platform. You’ll work closely with the product team and the US R&D Director to define and roadmap the work and to execute against it.
You’ll be working on a linux system writing cutting-edge Python microservices running in Kubernetes that need to work at real-time speeds with high accuracy, availability and resiliency. You’ll get direct exposure to mapping technologies, REST APIs, Websockets, async I/O, multithreading, and a modern UI that does augmented reality over real-time full motion video.
You will report directly to the Director of US R&D.
What we believe are important traits for this role
- Strong background in a technical or analytical field like Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or Electrical Engineering
- Must be a U.S. Citizen to handle both commercial and US Government work
- 7+ years of strong, progressive development experience designing, building and deploying scalable and resilient solutions using containerized microservices coded in Python or similar language
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience with code quality standards and design patterns
- Familiar with multiprocessing, threads, async I/O, and event-driven systems
- Hands-on experience with Kubernetes and Docker and other container technologies
- Strong hands-on experience with Linux, Git, Github, and shell scripting
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with distributed teams
- Experience working in fast paced, high performing technical teams with tight schedules
Helpful experience that is a plus but not a requirement
- Expert knowledge of Linux system administration and internals
- Hands-on experience with AWS or other Cloud platforms
- Experience with GIS technologies (ESRI, GeoServer, GDAL, USGS, Mapbox) and maps
- Front-end experience using React, Redux, Material UI, Typescript, or Cesium
- Good understanding of networking, storage, and security
- You never write code without automated tests, and you consider test code a first class citizen
- You have unparalleled debugging skills to solve any mystery in a distributed platform
- Experience with NoSQL databases
- Active US DoD Secret Clearance (if you have one, great, we can support it!)
What We Value
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in being fearless in paving new roads.
- We believe in the value of diversity and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching, collaboration, and learning.
- We believe in a one team philosophy - All for One, and One for All.
This job has a hybrid work model.